Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 12 April 2011

Strange Bedfellows

I can't stand for long,  in closed interiors. I have  claustrophobia.I like the open and so throw the windows and doors open, as much as I can.  I know a lot of people who are like me. Then there are the others who have to have the fan going all the time. Rather the fan is enough even in closed settings! While some others like me cannot bear it for long. I feel the world can be divided that way, like the cat lovers and the dog lovers.There are a sizeable fan lovers and fan haters.
That's the first major adjustment I had to make, after marriage. Yes, you guessed it. The spouse cannot sleep with out the fan's movement. Since then I have researched, analysed and come to the conclusion that it is more of  a psychological matter. We agree on that! He too has adjusted to the fact that the fan will not be turned beyond the minimum speed .His oft repeated one liner is that, in our house the fans are show pieces! I didn't find it very funny but it gets people probing.
At my neighbour's, the lady of the house has a tendency to sweat profusely all the time. Her husband cannot sleep with the fan on. Worse, according to her, he gives her a talk on its ill effects.It's bad for circulation, for the bones, can give you arthritis, bad for the skin and lungs...I have hung on to all these  reasons, to justify my own take better , when occasions demand.The poor lady adjusted for a few days, nights rather, then decided to shift her place. The husband, I believe  now lets  the fan rotate sometimes and not always.
You see, while Truth itself is a relative term, and difficult to comprehend, some bed room truths can be even more complicated.
This write up is inspired by a friend who stormed into my home the other day. She was in tears and spoke at length about how important it was for a woman to be economically independent. Absolutely, I agreed, though I was in no way, independent! But why this kind of an introspection today, I was curious. Her husband doesn't feel the need for an air conditioner "not even in this summmer". According to him it is bad for the general health, you'll age before your time, habit forming plus the power bill is going to shoot up.!
That's a couple more into my collection. The amiable  office boy, Ali, who I knew back in Hyderabad, would have muttered in the typical lingo "Uparwala bhee kaisa kaisa jodi banaatha hai!"(the couples that the almighty brings together!)
Meanwhile, I think at least now  the marriage beuros and the like  must ensure a perfect couple database. When cloning and such science takes over this will come in handy and the world will sleep in harmony, peacefully, oh in a beautiful, natural environment  sans fans or air conditioners!

No comments:

Post a Comment